[Asterisk-Dev] T.38 source code

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Fri Sep 2 00:38:59 MST 2005

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:23:35 +0200
Florian Overkamp <florian at obsimref.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Steve Underwood wrote:
> >> Has anyone tried the T.38 source code at
> >> http://www.ionidea.ua/oss/asterisk/
>
> > I haven't tried this code, and I don't know if it works. However, be
> > aware that it is trying to do something that is of little value to most
> > Asterisk users. Most people want either passthrough for use with ATAs or
> > a PSTN gateway. This offers neither.
>
> In your observation, what _does_ it offer then ?

A quick look at the package shows that it looks very much like what it
purports to be - a T.38 package for Asterisk.

These guys have done exactly what I was looking at doing, which is using
spandsp as engine to encode/decode the T.30 data stream needed for T.38.

Note that T.38 does not actually requre any DSP work - it is a matter of
wrapping the T.30 commands into a small amount of ASN and pushing them
over a UDP link.

For a more detailed explanation of what T.38 is and how it relates to
T.30, see my blog at http://www.voxgratia.net/blog/archives/2005/08/fax_facts.html

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs at postincrement.com / craigs at voxgratia.org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs at jabber.voxgratia.org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org