[Asterisk-Dev] G.722 patch uploaded

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Sep 1 12:53:03 MST 2005

asterisk at ntplx.net wrote:

>I uploaded my G.722 patches....it does not include a translating codec.
>So for now it only works between G.722 phones (ie BT-100)
>
>This is for 1.2/CVS HEAD.
>
>http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5084

The zaptel channels cannot make use of 16kHz sampled data. In theory
ISDN phones can use the G.722 data, but I think most ISDN phones do not
actually implement it. This would not require a codec, though. It would
require getting the G.722 data directly to a BRI or PRI channel. There
are no longer any patents on this codec, and free to use efficient
source code exists. Adding the codec to * seems no big deal. I'm just
not clear what use it would be.

Regards,
Steve