[Asterisk-Dev] multiple registrations of same credentials

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sun Oct 23 09:35:40 MST 2005

Jason Pyeron wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>
>> Jason Pyeron wrote:
>>
>>> This does make it harder to do, but not impossible. Just think
>>> DIAL(a&b&c&...).
>>>
>>> now when DIAL(SIP/400)
>>>
>>> gets back to chan_sip it gets corrected and replaced with an action for
>>> each registered 400 extension using the pbx framework.
>>>

>> Which means that the PBX has no idea that it is in fact calling multiple
>> devices. We have to implement *two* forking schemes, which makes
>> everything much harder.
>>
>> Believe me, I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to make this
>> work properly without breaking the Asterisk architecture.
>

> What are some of your ideas on this? I am open to other approaches.

We discussed this a bit on the Asterisk developer's meeting in Anaheim
and I said that I wasn't really sure whether we would benefit from
implementing this, since there's no other part of Asterisk that does
this and the core is very device centric. The only way I can see a
solution that agrees with the Asterisk architecture is to make sure we
have a full peer for each device that registers. Mikael's solution
bypasses the peer, which means that call limits and other peer functions
is no longer supported, but his channel might not have that implemented
(yet), so it might not be a problem in his implementation.

As Jeremy said, I usually solve this kind of functionality with a SIP
proxy, that supports multiple registrations and SIP forking much better
than Asterisk at this time.

/Olle