[Asterisk-Dev] Help needed for custom application

Marc Haisenko haisenko at be-ok.com
Fri Oct 21 04:00:23 MST 2005

Hi folks,
I've been tasked with writing a very special application for Asterisk which is
needed for a very special project (I have no idea whether I may give out
details, so I'll stay on the safe side and won't). Since I still have
difficulties in understanding the Asterisk internals I thought I could try
asking the people who probably know the most about Asterisk :-)

Just so you don't get me wrong, I don't want you to develop that application
for me, I just need some hints at how to do it.

The application I need to develop (let's call it fdial) can be described as a
forking dial application (which only needs to support SIP). It should act
almost like a normal dial at first, but when a special control frame arrives
from a channel it should dial to a second address, and when the call is
established the voice streams should be sent to both destinations (and vice
versa, but not between the two destinations. So the voice stream is forking
to two destinations. One of the established destination channels may then be
hung up (obviously at least one destination channel must be up, otherwise we
have a normal hangup).

I know it sounds weird :-)

I've looked into app_dial.c, but that code is doing way too much to easily
understand what is necessary to do a call... and especially having two active
destinations channel at a time is something that no other applications seems
to do, not even MeetMe (MeetMe seems to do conferencing/voice stream mixing
via a Zaptel device, doesn't it ?).

Has anyone some suggestions for me ? Is it even possible without really nasty
hacks to Asterisk itself ? Does anyone know of an application that does
something remotely like the fdial I need to implement ?

Thanks for your help in advance,
	Marc Haisenko
--
Marc Haisenko