[Asterisk-Dev] possible bug, only first E1 span seems to be initializing in wct4xxp.ko driver

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Tue Oct 18 05:56:30 MST 2005

asterisk folk,

as the self-appointed maintainer for the freebsd 4.x branch of the zaptel
drivers, i was looking through the code to figure out a possible bug which
was disturbing me the last few days in connecting to an ericsson md110. the
offending code in question is,

	for (x=0;x<sc->numspans;x++) {
		if (sc->t1e1 & (1 << x)) { /* WHY BITSHIFT x ? */
			sc->tspans[x] = malloc(sizeof(struct t4_span) + sizeof(struct zt_chan) *
31, M_TDM, M_NOWAIT);
			if (sc->tspans[x]) {
				memset(sc->tspans[x], 0, sizeof(struct t4_span) + sizeof(struct
zt_chan) * 31);
				sc->tspans[x]->spantype = TYPE_E1;
			}

	    	} else {
			sc->tspans[x] = malloc(sizeof(struct t4_span) + sizeof(struct zt_chan) *
24, M_TDM, M_NOWAIT);
			if (sc->tspans[x]) {
				memset(sc->tspans[x], 0, sizeof(struct t4_span) + sizeof(struct
zt_chan) * 24);
				if (j1mode)
					sc->tspans[x]->spantype = TYPE_J1;
				else
					sc->tspans[x]->spantype = TYPE_T1;
			}

	    	}
		if (!sc->tspans[x])
			return ENOMEM;
		sc->tspans[x]->spanflags |= flags;
	}

which occurs both in t4_init_one() and t1e1_sysctl() in the freebsd driver
version of wct4xxp.c

look at the comment /* WHY BITSHIFT x ? */, and you'd see that the if()
block is only executed when x==0 if t1e1=1 (as it should be if E1 is
selected). hence, for subsequent spans, the else block will be executed
which would set the spans for T1 (or J1, depending on j1mode) behaviour.
the behaviour seems to be correct if t1e1=0, i.e it sets all spans as
either T1 or J1.

i havent yet tested the code with the (1<<x) removed on a live E1, but
before i did, i wondered if there was a reason for the bitshift and if this
is really broken behaviour ?

additionally, this also occurs in the freebsd 5.x drivers. could someone
let me know if this occurs within the cvs zaptel linux sources from digium
as well ?

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/