[Asterisk-Dev] Re: Maximum Meetme size?

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 07:30:18 MST 2005

> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:42:41 +0000 (UTC)
> From: tony at softins.clara.co.uk (Tony Mountifield)
> Subject: [Asterisk-Dev] Maximum Meetme size?
> To: asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com
>
> I've been doing some tests with larger conferences in MeetMe, using VoIP
> channels, and have found that the audio starts to degrade after around
> 10 participants, and becomes unintelligible before reaching 20
> participants.
> The output of "top" shows the CPU is still 98% idle, so it is not running
> out of grunt.
>
> I have noticed though that quailty is fine if I have the 20 VoIP calls
> distributed among several different conference rooms with only a few
> participants in each.
>
> I'm currently using OH323 as the VoIP interface. For testing, I am
> originating a whole bunch of calls from another server, which for each
> channel records everything it hears until hangup. I am called into the
> conference myself and am talking while performing the test.
>
> Before I dive into the code, could others here tell me the maximum size
> of a MeetMe conference they have achieved, using (a) VoIP channels, and
> (b) Zaptel channels?
>
> What I don't know yet is whether this degradation is a result of the
> summing algorithm used in the Zaptel driver, or of something within
> MeetMe itself.
>
> Any comments appreciated!
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Mountifield
> Work: tony at softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
> Play: tony at mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org

Tony-

I've had MeetMe up to 25 'real' callers (I got a bunch of peolpe to call
in), under 1.02 using chan_h323, both in test, and once, in production. My
average meetme call gets up to 6-10 chan_h323 callers multiple times per
week- with no apparent degradation of quality. I'm running on a beefy
server- a twin CPU (2.8G P4) Blade server, with 2.5G memory, and I'm not
doing any transcoding- the calls come in under ulaw, specifically so that
meetme doesn't have to transcode to mix. I'm running on a 2.4 kernel, using
the zaprtc module since I can't install Digium hardware onto a blade server.
Note that I haven't gone beyond 1.02 because I implemented it when 1.02 was
fresh 'n hot- it hasn't broken, so I've been slow to upgrade that server.
Realistically, 1.2 (when it goes gold) will probably be my next stop, so
that the server can make calls outbound on h323 as well- 1.02 has some
severe limitations when using h323 to talk to Cisco Callmanager- it only
accepts inbound calls via a gatekeeper. (that's been fixed in HEAD since
Pcadach and I beat the tar out of it 6-8 months ago)

Mind you, at 25 people, the meeting is chaotic- that's a human issue,
however, since it's hard to prevent any two of the 25 from trying to talk
simultaneously.

I'd be happy to help you work further on it if you'd like- just contact me
directly, as this isn't really (yet) a -dev issue.

-pbd