[Asterisk-Dev] Digium G.729 codec modules updated

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Oct 7 22:32:58 MST 2005

This evening I posted a new set of Digium G.729 codec modules to our FTP
server and web site, for Linux x86 and x86-64 processors. They were
built using GCC 4.0.1, and they now report the processor they were
optimized for when they are loaded.

The previous x86-64 module required a non-standard Asterisk binary
configuration, so this was corrected. In addition, there was only a
generic version available; now there are both Intel EM64T and AMD
Opteron/Athlon-64 versions (and they do perform differently on their
respective platforms).

We previously had four 32-bit variants available; there are now nearly
three times that many, covering every reasonably popular x86 variant
(including Intel, AMD and Via).

Operationally there is no difference; the only changes are additional
optimizations and support for the 'astvardir' configuration option in
asterisk.conf, so the codec will be able to locate the license file if
you are not using /var/lib/asterisk as the storage location.

Once I return from Astricon, we will use this new build system to
produce FreeBSD modules for the same processor architectures, and also
add PowerPC variations (for Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X).