[Asterisk-Dev] Re: 482 Loop Detected problem

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Nov 22 08:23:43 MST 2005

Doug Meredith wrote:
> "Olle E. Johansson" <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
>

>>I've been working hard on improving our support of SIP so that we can
>>avoid these kind of things to happen. There are still situations where
>>it happens and I am eager to find those. One of the fixes in 1.2 is a
>>much improved support of SIP tags, so if you turn on pedantic, chances
>>are very low that this will happen without a cause.
>

> This is very interesting to me.  The sample "sip.conf" in 1.2 has the
> following comment for this option:  "Enable slow, pedantic checking
> for Pingtel and multiline formatted headers for strict SIP
> compatibility."  I never really understood what that meant, and
> basically ignored it.  If I understand your above comment correctly,
> this option will actually cause Asterisk to be more compliant with the
> SIP standard.  Is that correct?

Absolutely correct. It's a marko-ism that still lingers around in the
config text and propably should be changed. ;-)
Without turning on pedantic, asterisk ignores tag matching and will not
see the difference of two forks with the same call id that comes out of
a forking proxy. That will cause loop errors when there's no loop.

/O