[Asterisk-Dev] Re: cvs revision tags

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Nov 21 01:59:49 MST 2005

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <393913036.20051121010200 at polylogics.com>,
> Rod Dorman <rodd at polylogics.com> wrote:

>>>v1-2-0 is probably not a branch, but a tag;  so (unless the tags are
>>>moved), it would never change.  It is probably exactly equivalent to
>>>v1.2.0.
>>>
>>>If you already have v1.2.0, cvs update -r v1-2-0 should do nothing.
>>>
>>>It's there to document exactly what v1.2.0 is; similarly, v1-2-1 will
>>>document v1.2.1, etc.
>>
>>OK,  I guess the question I should be asking is, is there a branch based
>>on  version  1.2.0  that  will  have  critical  bug and security patches
>>applied to it but not experimental/new feature code changes.
>

> No. What you've just described is in fact the v1-2 branch, of which v1-2-1
> will be the next released snapshot.
>

>>It  would  be  the  equivalent of what OpenBSD calls the patch or stable
>>branch  http://www.openbsd.org/stable.html  essentially  it's  what  one
>>would want to track on a production system.
>

> Yes, that's v1-2. It will only have bug fixes, and not experimental or new
> features. The latter will continue to go into HEAD.

HEAD that is now version 1.3dev, open for a lot of new crazy stuff and
still not recommended for production use. The amount of crazyness will
increase during the coming months so be prepared for the worst and stay
on the v1-2 track for production servers.

Also remember that the v1-2 cvs branch is *not* the release. The release
that we consider stable is the actual tarballs or the tagged CVS, like
v1-2-0. The CVS will change while we are testing bug fixes and you may
check out something we haven't tested out fully yet, which may cripple
your stable server. CVS branches are always changing and committers may
make mistakes.

/O