[Asterisk-Dev] chan_exosip2

Steven critch at basesys.com
Mon Nov 14 10:34:51 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 10:18 -0700, Jared Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 18:00 +0100, harry gaillac wrote:
> > If i've posted some e-mails repeating the same
> > question over and over so
> > I needn't to post a large enough bounty to make
> > someone
> > interested in helping me but the asterisk project too
> > !
>
> It's Monday and I'm grumpy, so don't take this too personally (I'm not
> aiming this at anyone in particular), but I've gotta say something.

Granted I am probably more likely to be called the asshole of the group,
but You didn't come off as grumpy to me.

> Complaining to the -dev list (repeatedly) about needing a feature
> doesn't get it written any faster.  If you have a feature you'd like
> included, you have the following options:
>
> o  If you can code, write it yourself.  Even if it's not perfect, it
> might just be what's needed to get others interested in making it happen
>
> o  If you can't code, put up and bounty or hire a programmer to write it
> for you
>
> o  If you can't code and you're too cheap to put up some money, at least
> put together a reasonable proposal as to how the architecture should
> work, including lots of detail.  A two-line email with lots of
> exclamation marks saying "I need! I need!" doesn't cut it.
>
> In short, begging on the -dev list doesn't make things happen.  Putting
> forth some intellectual or financial capital will make things happen.

Let me add why the options listed above are pretty much all that are
available.

For those not getting paid for open source development, we program to
satisfy an itch. Occasionally the itch is intelectual, but usually it is
to satisfy a need.

For those who are getting paid, they are getting paid to satisfy a need
for those who are paying for the work.

So the options above fall into the following, scratch your own itch, pay
someone to scratch your itch, or provide the intelectual stimulus to
cause someone to have an itch.
--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>