[Asterisk-Dev] Re: bug 4252 - increasing delay over time channels in MeetMe

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Nov 13 16:33:46 MST 2005

On Sunday 13 November 2005 15:08, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Matt Riddell wrote:
> > Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> > > Due to patent issues and the legal problems associated with
> > > contributory patent infringement, we cannot do anything about
> > > any problems you're having with the G.723.1 codec (at least
> > > until the associated patents expire).
> >
> > Which is when?
> >
> > Do you really see them allowing the patents to expire?
>
> Patents expire whether you allow them or not. It is kinda tricky
> for g.723.1 - there are lots of patents, filed in different
> jurisdictions. Some of them in fact have expired already (2004). I
> saw a statement that all of them will expire by end of 2006...

The last patent awarded appears to be to Nokia[0], but there doesn't
appear to be a patent date listed on that one (looks to be through a
reciprocity argeement with Finland).

The last patent by the DSP Group (AudioCodes, specifically) (which is
currently the source for licensing), patent number 5,568,588, should
expire April 28th, 2014.  When the DSP Group ceases to hold patents on
the technology, their ability to license the remaining patent may also
expire, but we'll have to see.

In any case, it's going to be quite a few years before we can use
G.723.1 legally without obtaining patent licensing.

IANAL, so this is not legal advice, yadda yadda yadda.

[0] - http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/patents/database/pat-list.pdf
--
Tilghman