[Asterisk-Dev] Recommendations for SIP PBX/SP interoperability draft

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Nov 10 13:02:39 MST 2005

http://wiki.sipforum.org/images/a/a9/Sf-draft-twg-IP_PBX_SP_Interop-sibley-v3.pdf

Those of you using Asterisk in commercial environments, specifically
those of you re-packaging Asterisk as a "solution" or as a "service
provider gateway" should read the above document.  It describes the
work to date of the SIPConnect folks on how to make PBX/SIP platforms
talk to each other on the "public" Internet.  The document as it
stands currently is really designed as a guideline for how service
providers can use SIP as a trunk to let customer devices talk to
their networks, but I expect it will be the guideline that gets used
when more entities are using SIP to communicate between each other
without a service provider.  <cough>ENUM<cough, wheeze>

There is useful data in here for those programming Asterisk for
future compliance:

   - mappings of SS7 to SIP error codes
   - media negotiation
   - VAD, echo cancellation, and codec options

Frequently referenced in this document and notably absent from
Asterisk is the use of TCP and TLS for SIP, which I fear is one of
the major shortcomings of the VoIP aspects of Asterisk currently.
I'll donate to a coder, but I don't have the code...  There are
plenty of other RFCs listed that would be well-suited for Asterisk
programmers to understand, either in the code itself, or in the
dialplan.

JT