[Asterisk-Dev] RFC2833 Event Duration

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sat Nov 5 12:17:32 MST 2005

Ryan Courtnage wrote:

> ... to it.  In other words, Asterisk isn't passing along the duration of
> the original event.

Correct.

> Is this by design?  Can * be made to pass on the initial event duration?

It is by design, i.e. not accidental. There is no way to pass on the
duration at this time, because incoming events are turned into
AST_FRAME_DTMF as they pass through the Asterisk core, and those frames
do not currently have any way to carry duration information. Keep in
mind that Asterisk is used in many applications that are not SIP<->SIP,
so just because in your situation there is an 'incoming event duration'
that doesn't mean there is in all other applications :-)

> .. where we are unable to pass variable duration DTMF events to the
> switch, because Asterisk does not send along the duration.  Our primary
> issue is that the duration is simply too short.

There are a great many (most) PBXes that don't support variable DTMF
event duration at all, so Asterisk is no different in this regard.