[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk make clean and make looping?? (Possible solution)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Nov 3 10:24:54 MST 2005

Robert Webb wrote:

> As I understand it, it seems that since the version.h build section has
> the dependency of FORCE listed and FORCE: is balnk, Make will assume
> that FORCE: has changed every time and cause the
> include/asterisk/version.h: section to rebuild every time.

That is correct; however, if you look at the actual commands in the
version.h build section, they build a new file and compare the contents,
to avoid overwriting (and changing the timestamp) on version.h if the
contents have not changed. This was done specifically to avoid this problem.

It appears that on your system (at least), these commands are updating
version.h anyway, even though the contents have not changed.