[Asterisk-Dev] ODBC Voicemail Storage

Edwin Horton edhorton at navcorp.com
Thu Nov 3 08:32:08 MST 2005

This new feature seems to work well.  In the past I have configured systems
for HA using shared storage for voicemail directories in an Actice/Passive
arrangement.  This new feature is the last component required to move all of
the storage/config requirements to an HA database.  My only comment is that
I noticed that directors were created on the host machine, such as INBOX,
Old, etc, even though the contents were empty.  I assume this is for
compatibility with the other voicemail apps, just as it the "dir" field in
the database table.  My question is, if the directory names are not on the
local disk, even though the voicemail entries are in the database, will the
voicemail application still function.  In the case of HA, the active
Asterisk box would have created all of the directories.  If a failover
occurs to the standby box and it accesses the database OK, still the
directories may not have been created on the standby box.  Will voicemail
still function?  I know that you can create the voicemail directory
structure in advance on each box, but it would be great if you do not need
to do this.