[Asterisk-Dev] Re: multiple registrations of same credentials

Michael Procter michael.procter at citel.com
Wed Nov 2 02:01:16 MST 2005

Kevin Hanson wrote:
> The major problem with shared extension appearances in Asterisk is
> having to set your call-limit to 1 for the monitored phones.  Those
> phones can then no longer have a second call come in (call waiting),
> place a call on hold and make another call, or transfer calls as they
> are limited to the call they are on.
>
> I installed a Polycom 601 w/ sidecar for a customer and the
> call-limit
> limitation was a show stopper.  Bascially, all the sidecar
> gets them is
> an easy way to transfer incoming calls via speed dial setup on the
> sidecar.  For now I've placated them w/ Flash Operator Panel.
>
> Is this a limitation of SIP or will Asterisk be able to support
> extension appearances without the call-limit in the future?

An approach to shared lines/bridged lines is documented in:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-anil-sipping-bla-02.txt

This supports multiple appearances on the same AOR, i.e. more than
one call at a time.

Polycom are listed in the acknowledgements section of this draft,
so you might find that they support this draft in some form or another.

Regards,

Michael Procter