[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk make clean and make looping??

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Nov 1 14:51:12 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 15:21 -0500, Robert Webb wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:34:40 -0600
>   "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> > Robert Webb wrote:
> >
> >> Is this a bug in the make code or do I just need a new
> >>brain today.
> >> Which the latter is VERY possible.
> >
> > It happens occasionally, but we've not been able to
> >isolate the cause. Every time someone has this problem,
> >they blow away the directory and re-do the checkout and
> >it works fine, so they move on :-)
>
> Well, I am not in a real big hurry to get this test box up
> and running. So I will do my best to try and figure out
> why this might be hapenning. That is if the list promises
> to be patient with the noob questions I might have when
> trying to read through the script. At least at this point
> I know where MAKE bombed the first time so hopefully I can
> figure it out.

It is sometimes hard to adequately explain what is annoying when
questions are asked, but you seemed to ask your question in an
intelligent way. You explained what problems you encountered, and you
explained how you worked around them. You proved you have some skills
and reasoning ability. Your solutions to your previous problems may shed
light onto the problem you are now facing.

I do wonder if you are getting into a permissions problem. Do you do
your make as root or a non privileged user? If you do make as a non
privileged user, could you have inadvertantly issued a make after a
package install where you where root? If so, you current make clean and
make will fail because it can not overwrite the files it needs to, or
delete other files.

In short, chown all the files to a user if trying to make as a non
privileged user, or swap to root and try again.