[Asterisk-Dev] Re: multiple registrations of same credentials

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Nov 1 14:40:57 MST 2005

Jonathan k. Creasy wrote:
> I am reading this because I would like to have a shared line appearance,
> or at least I think I would. The goal is to have several phones with a
> single line and when it's busy on one, it's busy on all of them. It's
> been requested by several users, most of them so that a secretary can
> monitor the lines of 5 or 6 different people.

Multiple registrations have nothing to do with shared line appearances.

> Can someone respond to me off list and assist me in understanding how to
> make use of this information? I'm a programmer but I haven't done custom
> coding on Asterisk as of yet.

Shared line appearances are hard to implement with Asterisk, and even
harder to understand when the concept of a 'line' does not really exist
at all (like when VOIP trunks are in use). We have talked about ways of
getting there, but it will not be easy.

If what you want is shared extension appearances, so an admin person can
see whether other people are on the phone and see the light blink when
their phone is ringing, that can be done today using SIP presence and
dialplan hints. This is _not_ shared lines, though.