[Asterisk-Dev] High resolution timers using POSIX clocks instead of zaptel

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Fri May 27 15:56:42 MST 2005

Hi,

> >software timers are lacking.
> >

> I think that is just narrow thinking.

Steve's original link for why software timers are a bad idea  was from 2002.

Since then we have had fantastic improvements in
  a) cpu performance
  b) latency of the kernel
     - anyone tried the low latency kernel & software times?
  c) the overall kernel code.

I think it is a reasonable question then:
 Are software timers still a bad idea?

Does anyone have some realworld experience on a recent machine & software
timers to prove they are still a bad idea?

Derek

--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.