[Asterisk-Dev] High resolution timers using POSIX clocks instead of zaptel

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri May 27 10:11:12 MST 2005

On May 27, 2005 12:32 pm, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Friday 27 May 2005 05:33, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > Using zaptel just for a time source is silly. We should use POSIX
> > timers instead. Here's a start, but I don't know how long it'll be
> > before I can get to finish it, so I thought I'd post it here in the
> > hope that someone else will pick it up.
>
> As noted here:
>
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2002-April/002072.html
>
> software timers are lacking.

That link doesn't have *any* information whatsoever on why.  1000Hz should be
trivial to generate on a PC.  hell I was doing this back in the DOS days with
the PIT.  Granted things have changed a bit since then but I hardly think
that a crystal oscillator on a PCI chipset *designed* to be as cheap as
humanly possible is "great precision" as the link indicates.  :-)

-A.