[Asterisk-Dev] Mailing list descriptions

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Tue May 24 06:44:45 MST 2005

It seems that most long time mailing list subscribers have an
understanding of what the charter for each asterisk-* mailing list is;
also, people are pretty open about communicating their understanding to
unsuspecting users.

However, it seems that this isn't clear to new mailing list users,
probably because these charters are primarily unwritten:

1) There's some text describing the lists and their purposes at
http://asterisk.org/index.php?menu=support, (which is probably the place
most users go to subscribe?)

2) The mailman subscription pages don't seem to have a description at all.

Would it be possible for us to agree on mailing list charters, and to
post these charters (a) at http://asterisk.org/index.php?menu=support,
(b) on the mailman subscription pages, (c) in the welcome message that
users get [I'm not sure if this is there].

The present text on the support page is:

======================

The asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com
forums for users who have implementation and support questions and for
developers who wish to participate in the technological discussions
pertaining to Asterisk. Both lists potentially have hundreds of email
messages in a single business day, and a digest version is available.

The asterisk-doc at lists.digium.com
forum for users who wish to discuss and contribute to the documentation
of the Asterisk project.

The asterisk-cvs at lists.digium.com
mailing list for CVS updates of Asterisk and the core components such as
Zaptel.

The asterisk-bsd at lists.digium.com
BSD-related Asterisk discussions.

The asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com
forum for parties who wish to discuss commercial or business related
activities, opportunities, etc. regarding Asterisk.

======================

I propose the following:

==============

The asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com
forum for parties who wish to discuss commercial or business related
activities, opportunities, etc. regarding Asterisk.   All commercial
discussion, including requests or discussion related to for-hire
development or support services belongs here.

The asterisk-doc at lists.digium.com

The asterisk-bsd at lists.digium.com
BSD-related Asterisk discussions.

The asterisk-cvs at lists.digium.com
mailing list for CVS updates of Asterisk and the core components such as
Zaptel.   This is a "read-only" list, with postings automatically
generated as source code changes are committed.  There is a lot of
traffic on this list, but it is the bottom-line best way to stay
informed about changes to asterisk.  Anyone working with the development
versions of asterisk are encouraged to monitor this list.

The asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com
forum for contributing developers to discuss current and future
source-code level engineering issues.  It is emphatically not a forum
for support, implementation assistance, or bug-reporting.  This is a
moderately high-traffic list, and a digest version is available.

The asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
a forum for users who have implementation and support questions or for
general technological discussions pertaining to Asterisk. This list
often generates hundreds of email messages in a single business day, and
a digest version is available.  If your message does not clearly fall
into the charter of one of the above lists, this is the place for it!

Bug reports should go to the asterisk bug tracking system.   Guidelines
for bug reporting are found here: http://www.digium.com/bugguidelines.html

We end up having lots of "wrong list" flames going back and forth,
seeming more than I tend to see on other lists, and I think that it is
primarily due to this.   At best, making things clearer will reduce the
number of "wrong list" kinds of posts, and the useless flames that
follow.  At worst, it will increase the quality of the flames by at
least allowing people to point to clearer list charters.

-SteveK

P.S.  This message really doesn't fit the charter as I described, unless
you consider the website and mailman to be a part of asterisk.