[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 RFC and retries.

Johnathan Corgan jcorgan at aeinet.com
Fri May 20 10:45:21 MST 2005

Steve Underwood wrote:

>> This is the sort of thing a formal protocol spec should clear up.
>> (Bravo to the developer writing RFC--you'll improve a lot of peoples'
>> productivity!)
>

> Was this said in jest, or was it a serious comment? If the latter, I
> guess you haven't worked with too many specs. :-)

:-)

It was a serious comment though--spec writing is tedious, mostly
thankless, and requires good writing skills *in addition* to the domain
knowledge of the technical area involved.  So kudos to anyone who makes
this effort.  They have my appreciation.

Besides, I'd rather read an RFC than decipher chan_iax2.c.  In
particular, the differences between the MUST, SHOULD, and MAY items
don't show up in the code.

Of course, the RFC writer is probably looking at chan_iax2.c and
codifying what it does :-)

What will be interesting is when we have several interoperable but
distinct open implementations of IAX.  I'm sure some bugs will appear
that were hidden before because the chan_iax2 implementation is usually
working with another copy of itself.  I haven't yet looked at the
libiax2 source code tree yet, so maybe some of this has already been seen.

>> The timestamp does seem to be redundant as a way of correlating the
>> ACK with the original full frame.
>
> Why? The sequence number is entry you are expected to use.

This is what I was saying--comparing timestamps is redundant (and
therefore unneeded), as one already has the source and destination call
numbers and the sequence number in the ACK.

But both you and the other poster took my meaning to be the opposite, so
I evidently didn't express myself well.

-Johnathan