[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 RFC and retries.

Johnathan Corgan jcorgan at aeinet.com
Fri May 20 07:22:46 MST 2005

Steve Kann wrote:
> tim panton wrote:
>
>> I am implementing the IAX2 protocol in pure Java.
>> I am trying to use the RFC as a protocol description
>> - not the code!

>> The RFC says:
>>
>> An ACK must have both a source
>> call number and destination call number. It must also increment
>> the sequence number counters, and return the same timestamp it
>> received. This allows the originating peer to determine to which
>> message the ACK is responding.
>>
>> But this seems not to be the case. I am seeing acks with timestamps
>> that are the time they were sent, not that of the original message.

> I think that asterisk _does_ set the timestamp of an ACK to be equal to
> the timestamp of the frame it's acknowledging, but it's redundant.

This is the sort of thing a formal protocol spec should clear up. (Bravo
to the developer writing RFC--you'll improve a lot of peoples'
productivity!)

The timestamp does seem to be redundant as a way of correlating the ACK
with the original full frame.

Tim--is the text above from the first or second draft of the RFC?

-Johnathan