[Asterisk-Dev] Dialplan syntax changes.. Option: work on aradically different design..

Steven critch at basesys.com
Wed May 18 10:03:23 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 12:19 -0400, Matthew Butt wrote:
> Being new round here and maybe talking out of line - it's all well and
> good having a language-based syntax with appropriate constructs - but
> also consider that there will be many people trying to use Asterisk who
> are NOT up to speed with such syntax.
>
> I would guess that most of the Asterisk installers/maintainers out there
> are not developers.  Don't make it harder for the majority!

A more expressive language will only make the initial hump a bit higher,
but it will flatten the rest of the learning curve as the n+101 stuff is
yanked out. I think the direction is a good one.

Now the idea of embedding perl I think may not be a good idea right now.
Specifically, I think it will not be a good idea till perl 6 is out. At
that point, perl should be stable for a while to come and parrot may
allow us to work in other languages when we choose to.

--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>