[Asterisk-Dev] stable/feature freeze?

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Wed May 18 09:49:05 MST 2005

Nathan C. Smith wrote:

>It's more of a snapshot release.
>
>On the other hand it becomes more stable as you learn about it's warts and
>how to work around them, until the next change.
>
>-Nate
>
>If I knew a way to make everyone stop referring to it as the "stable"
>branch and just refer to it as the "1.0" branch, then I would happily do
>it.  I agree that "stable" is a bad name, and it just causes stress for
>me.  I maintain the branch on my own, and pretty much the only time
>anyone talks to me about it is when they want to complain about their
>specific problem and want to know why it was a problem in the first
>place, and then why it wasn't fixed yesterday.
>
>Russell

I was using debian before they added the "testing" release which is
theoretically somewhere between stable and unstable. It made my life a
lot easier when testing became available. Such an approach might result
in having more people testing what will be the next "stable" release.
More beta testers means finding the bugs sooner.