[Asterisk-Dev] Dialplan syntax changes.. Option: work on a radically different design..

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Wed May 18 09:15:03 MST 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005 alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Brian West wrote:
>>> What is the dialplan?  It's really a procedural language, it seems.
>>> Do we already have well defined syntax(es) that would fit?
>>> Sure we do -- and most of them stem from the syntax of C in one way
>>> or another.
>>> So, can it make sense to make the Dialplan look more like C?
> Finally someone who has enough sanity to recognize that line-based
> programming languages died away with ol' GWBASIC and FORTRAN-1945
>
> I'm for it with both hands.
> Now, let's discuss the BNF of the new language. Also, discuss whether we
> need gotos, etc, etc - and whether possibly adoption of another existing
> "domain specific language" would be preferable to rolling our own, writing
> parsers and syntax/semantic analyzer, variable/array/etc support code
> - which needs to be debugged etc. Very boring stuff.

I think we should go for a slightly higher layer of functionality when in
the distributed tarball. It's silly that people are still rewriting call
forward and extension macros. I would like to have one or two
"personalities" shipped with * based on the dial plan syntax, whatever it
ends up being.

With this users will get something closer to a predefined kit of parts
when they want to build something instead of an entire hardware store.

dave

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent