[Asterisk-Dev] Need help to get into the code

Johnathan Corgan jcorgan at aeinet.com
Tue May 17 18:46:16 MST 2005

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> Great!  So when can we expect your patch on the bugtracker?

I think you missed his whole point.

He was concerned that his own code he developed for a new channel had
latent bugs because there was no way for him to validate his
understanding of how the interface was supposed to work.  How can he
divine the "thinking and intentions of the original developer" of the
code?

Comments from someone who *thinks* they understand what was intended are
inferior to comments by the *original developer* who actually knows
about what he intended.

If we are now in a position where future developers have to essentially
reverse engineer existing code in order to be able to write new code,
that ups the bar for the skills needed to extend and enhance Asterisk.
Of course, there are skilled developers who work this way in their
sleep.  But they are few and far between.

-Johnathan