[Asterisk-Dev] Need help to get into the code

Jean-Hugues ROBERT jean_hugues_robert at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 01:46:48 MST 2005

At 09:34 16/05/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>The thing is, the code is written _by_ developers, _for_ developers. It's
>not written in a way that a casual reader will be able to just drop into
>any given source file and be able to know everything that is happening
>there. There will always be a base of knowledge required about the context
>of any given function to be able to understand it.

I wish there would be a filter in my editor to control what level of comment
I want to see while editing the code. Something as simple as replacing the
comments by some blanks would help improve the noise/signal ratio sometimes.

Yet, when I am in "learning mode", comments help.

Regarding Open Source code, I feel like comments can have an additional value.
I mean an Educational value, where comments help future developers, not just
about the micro-change introduced in a file, but also about the whole picture.

This would be about sharing knowledge, in addition to sharing code.

It does not bother me if these educational comments are somehow out of sync or
sometimes misleading, as long as, overall, they help me understand the code
faster. However, once I understand, I would like them to kind of disappear.

Any hints about an Editor with "comments filtering" capabilities ?

Yours,

   JeanHuguesRobert