[Asterisk-Dev] [Rant] [long] - code style and quality

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Fri May 13 15:18:48 MST 2005

Steve,
  I don't think this thread will ever die, whatever you say.

All the time that the asterisk code is poorly formatted etc etc, the code
will be a hassle to new asterisk developers. many of them will leave, and
never contribute. Oops, that is a shame.

Some will write to this list, and start a new thread. It will have a new
subject line, but the content will be similar to letters in this current
thread.

The topic of formatting has been covered elsewhere. Google suggests
several tools. The first one was "indent", which came on my suse 9.2 box.
Clearly, automatic formatters are available, and "almost" everyone will
have the same tool.

Let us not get sidetracked on the choice of tools. Let us move forward,
and decide on a consistant policy. Having decided, let us act on it.

yes, changes in whitespace can be dangerous. Big deal.
Trying to modify (fix) crap code is even more dangerous.

Derek.
 On Fri, 13 May 2005, Steve Kann wrote:

> Jean-Hugues ROBERT wrote:
>
> > At 09:12 10/05/2005 +0200, steve at daviesfam.org wrote:
> >
> >> Heh - I used to contribute to mplayer; once upon a time they wouldn't
> >> accept patches that changed indentation...
> >> Steve
> >

> I generally think this thread should die, but I do want to point out
> that "whitespace changes" can be dangerous, if you're not really
> careful. To whit, changes in M3934
> which theoretically just changed whitespace, actually removed two lines
> of code, thereby changing the operation of the code..
>
> If you do something like this, please also use "diff -uw", to get a
> better idea of what the actual changes will be.

snippppppppped.

--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.