[Asterisk-Dev] A pipe length tester for TDM400 cards

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri May 13 11:48:23 MST 2005

Hi,

I finally put together a simple program for testing what happens to the
pipe length out from software, through a TDM400 card, and back to
software again. I haven't done much with it yet, or really studied in
depth if there are pitfalls in what I have done. However, you can grab
the current source from ftp://ftp.soft-switch.org/pub/sliptest.c, and
compile it with

    gcc sliptest.c -lspandsp

(which, obviously, means you need spandsp installed). When you run it,
you need to give it a parameter which is the channel number of a circuit
on a TDM400 card. Don't have anything plugged into the card. The
software listens to the echo of what it sends. When it runs, it lists 50
loop lengths per second. The loop lengths are measured in audio samples.

The initial results I get are odd. I suspected I might get jumps of 1, 8
or 160 samples. These seem to be the significant sizes of things in the
zaptel world. However, I get a variety of oddly sized changes, that I
haven't yet explained.

The loop length is evaluated by looking for the peak in the
cross-correlation of the Tx and Rx signals. This isn't foolproof, so you
may get a few samples which hiccup a little. However consistent changes
in loop length are real.

Treat this code as an interesting (or possibly very dull) experiment,
rather than a proof of anything.

Regards,
Steve