[Asterisk-Dev] Hard real-time?

Ricardo Poppi rpoppi77 at terra.com.br
Thu May 12 17:08:19 MST 2005

Ricardo Poppi wrote:

>> Hi all! There are some linux kernel projecs that provides hardware
>> real-time kernel for real time applications. I´ve been looking around
>> about RTLinux and RTAI. Those hard real-time kernel implementations
>> provides a hardware abstraction layer where the regular linux kernel
>> is executed as a low priority task. But - now comes the candy - all
>> the real time applications are executed by this HAL as high priority
>> so it should guarantee the real time responses needed.
>>
>> But - now comes the issue - the "real-time application" needs to be
>> written using those "new" cappabilities. Take a short look at this
>> sentence about RTLinux programing impact: "...From the application
>> programmers point of view, the queues look very much like standard
>> UNIX character devices, accessed via POSIX read/write/open/ioctl
>> system calls. Shared memory is currently accessed via the POSIX mmap
>> calls..."
>>
>> Do anybody knows about a hard real-time asterisk dev
>> project/prototype/beta going on?

I think that getting proper soft-real-time support to work more sanely
would be a much simpler first step (more "bang for the buck", so-to-speak).

I have patches which implement the ideas in a mantis bug about this,
and I'll be putting them up soon.  Basically, they'll allow you to,
safely, run asterisk as real-time under linux.

-SteveK

Nice SteveK! Actually I´m just looking around about QLinux and Ingo´s patch for kernel.

The main issue about it - I did not tested yet, probably I will do until weekend time - is that
QLinux, for example, just runs in 2.4.x kernel and I got affraid that this environment could lack
some important resource - or bug fix - for asterisk and SER to run and Ingo´s patch - as they say on
lists - are still experimental.

Do you have any experience about those soft real-time ways?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo Poppi