[Asterisk-Dev] Hard real-time?

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Thu May 12 14:18:12 MST 2005

Ricardo Poppi wrote:

> Hi all! There are some linux kernel projecs that provides hardware
> real-time kernel for real time applications. I´ve been looking around
> about RTLinux and RTAI. Those hard real-time kernel implementations
> provides a hardware abstraction layer where the regular linux kernel
> is executed as a low priority task. But - now comes the candy - all
> the real time applications are executed by this HAL as high priority
> so it should guarantee the real time responses needed.
>
> But - now comes the issue - the "real-time application" needs to be
> written using those "new" cappabilities. Take a short look at this
> sentence about RTLinux programing impact: "...From the application
> programmers point of view, the queues look very much like standard
> UNIX character devices, accessed via POSIX read/write/open/ioctl
> system calls. Shared memory is currently accessed via the POSIX mmap
> calls..."
>
> Do anybody knows about a hard real-time asterisk dev
> project/prototype/beta going on?

I think that getting proper soft-real-time support to work more sanely
would be a much simpler first step (more "bang for the buck", so-to-speak).

I have patches which implement the ideas in a mantis bug about this,
and I'll be putting them up soon.  Basically, they'll allow you to,
safely, run asterisk as real-time under linux.

-SteveK