[Asterisk-Dev] Re: New h.323 channel driver

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Wed May 11 17:25:25 MST 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:53:38 +0300
Michael Manousos <manousos at inaccessnetworks.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Paul Cadach wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Michael Manousos wrote:

> >>Which version of asterisk-oh323 did you use for the tests?
> >>What problems did you encounter?
> >

> > The problems mostly relies on OpenH323 - there is deadlock condition, check #3967. Also, under high load single cleaner
>
> I have also notice them, but only with the Pandora or above versions.
> That's the main reason that asterisk-oh323 has stuck with the Janus
> version of OpenH323/Pwlib.
>
> > thread isn't able to cleanup calls as needed, and some sort of workaround is required (e.g., move some time-consuming
> > cleanup code into H323Connection::ClearCall instance).

In my past experience, these kinds of problems with OpenH323
applications have been caused by subtle race conditions in the
application code associated with call shutdown.

I've not seen any problems in the OpenH323 cleanup thread for many years.
That code has been tested and reviewed sixteen different ways from zero,
and I know of many companies who use OpenH323 for 100+ simultaneous
calls with application run-times measured in months without any problems

Having said that, I'd be happy to look at any evidence to the contrary,
but I'd recommend another look at the application first.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs at postincrement.com / craigs at voxgratia.org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs at jabber.voxgratia.org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org