[Asterisk-Dev] [RFC] Remote MWI using IAX2

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Wed May 11 10:18:43 MST 2005

On 09:19 PM 5/10/2005, Gil Kloepfer wrote:
 >The problem I see is that there is no mechanism to subscribe to MWI
 >updates from a remote server to forward onto a local phone.
Everything
 >for Zap and MGCP channels (among other technologies) is handled via
 >a "poll" mechanism within Asterisk.  So the only way to implement
 >remote MWI between Asterisk servers without revamping how MWI and
IAX is
 >implemented is to poll over IAX as I have hacked together.
 >
 >What I've been trying to do is start by maybe doing remote MWI
 >the "wrong" way (but show the value it provides) modeling it after
 >Asterisk's current methodolgy in the hopes it will motivate a
larger
 >move toward getting the "right" solution in general for MWI.  This
would
 >be a "push"-type solution rather than the "poll"-type solution
 >currently implemented.

I recently paid out a bounty for work in this area.  Once we get all
the
testing done and are confident it meets my needs, it will be
submitted to
mantis for inclusion.

The patch basically adds the ability to signal MWI to a remote UA
from a
central asterisk server.  It also includes a dialplan function to
dynamically add/remove a pointer for MWI indication (think of it as
adding
or removing a mailbox= entry).  Finally the patch includes a function
enter the dialplan when a device registers, or the registration
expires.

This would give you all the tools you need to dynamically move a MWI
indication to any end device capable of indicating MWI as wither
users log
in (like logging into a queue) or a device registers.

If you are interested in helping to test the patch, it's based upon a
May 2
2005 CVS HEAD.  You can get the patch at the following url
(http://pbx2.netgeeks.net/asterisk/patches/).  Make sure you read the
readme file as well for instructions.

There are still a few issues to be taken care of.  Specifically, we
did not
include any way to update the dialplan with changes that are made
dynamically by the dialplan command.  This will need to be handled by
the
dialplan if you want continuity after a reboot.

I have yet to be able to do any comprehensive testing yet, and
probably
won't until this weekend.

- -Chris