[Asterisk-Dev] [Rant] [long] - code style and quality

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Mon May 9 15:29:39 MST 2005

Hi,
 lets start with what we agree on:

> >Conclusion::
> > real code code can get messy as time goes on
> >          - and that depends on the developer(s).
> >

> Which is pretty much what I said, before you hacked up my message.

There are examples of projects out there that are real code and are not
messy.   All of these projects have been majorly rewritten.

There are examples of projects out there which are messy and real code.
 - asterisk.

Now, I was reading the link from this list from ESR on python
http://www.ferg.org/python_presentations/eric_s_raymond_on_python.html

He wrote in the conclusion section:
The day-to-day work of programming consists not of writing new programs,
but mostly reading and modifying existing ones.

Thus, if care is taken to write non messy code, everyone benefits.
Which means, good tidy code is a benefit to all.........

Now, here is my problem:
 there are issues with various parts of the code
    h.323 does not work reliably
    iax2 does not work in an smp environment (clicks in audio)

Given the current messy state, it is not possible for me to decipher the
code and find the flaw - in a reasonable time frame.

This applies to other developers. The current objuscated messy state of
asterisk makes it hard for new * developers to contribute usefil fixes to
the core components.

Derek.

--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.