[Asterisk-Dev] [Rant] [long] - code style and quality

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon May 9 09:41:47 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 08:58 -0700, Preston Garrison wrote:

>   If i want to make my code messy, then I will do so.

You are perfectly free to do so.  And we are perfectly free to reject
such code.

> You should be thankful you even have asterisk to work with, and stop
> complaining about messy code.

By that reasoning, you should stop complaining that Asterisk routes all
of your 911 calls to 1-900-HOT-SEXX and just be thankful that you even
have Asterisk to begin with.

>   Most of the developers have actual day
> jobs, and spending alot of time cleaning up and document their code
> would either take away from them, or the amount of time they spend
> adding new features to asterisk.

Actually, many Asterisk developers are paid to work on/with Asterisk.
Having well written, well structured code ultimately improves programmer
productivity.

>  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, some of us believe that "messy" code is broken.

Jeff