[Asterisk-Dev] [Rant] [long] - code style and quality

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Fri May 6 22:30:45 MST 2005

> On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 12:34 +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
>
>>If you don't like * the way it is, don't use it. If you want to make it
>>better, submit patches.
>>
>>If you have the time to write such a long whiney and pointless message,

Ouch.

Most of what he pointed out was quite correct: there is a lot of code in
Asterisk that has the distinct aroma of "Hurry up.  Let's get it out the
door and worry about technique and style in another life."

Asterisk is big, and it's going to get bigger.  Ignoring the issues he
brings up is certainly possible, but as time goes by, the price in code
bloat and programmer aggravation will go up very steeply the longer the
community waits to address these issues.

I see a lot of the work Kevin has been doing, for instance in the
"function/application" sorting and the unwinding of pbx.c, as coming
from the very same impetus as the "rant."

I applaud Mr. Rizzo for taking the time to lay out his argument
carefully and with plenty of examples of code that would benefit from
being cleaned up.  And, as others have pointed out, he is in fact
working to put his programming fingers where his mouth is.

I think your flame was out of line, with all due respect to your
standing as a more experienced Asterisk programmer than I am.

B.