[Asterisk-Dev] Dev call 1.2 release discussion

Fri May 6 01:57:17 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 14:41 +0600, Paul Cadach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Adam Goryachev wrote:
> > Either way, I don't see that this should be required for 1.2.0 release.
> > I would like to see more work done on exposing the call quality
> > (jitter/etc) values for a 1.2.0 release though.
>
> Removing dependencies on zaptel should raise Asterisk as real SOFT switch,

That is just a definition problem.... how do you define "real soft
switch"??

>  easily portable to mostly any *nix-based
> platform.

Sure, this would be a plus... but we all know linux is the only platform
that matters... (JOKING, stop now, don't reply email about this!)

> Current timing algorithms isn't allow Asterisk to work the same manner with and without zaptel drivers.

Ummm, but zaptel drivers are only software, especially when you consider
ztdummy + linux 2.6.x.
So, it really is a soft switch :)

Either way, I really don't see that this would be a small enough change
to say that we should complete this before releasing 1.2. IMHO, the ONLY
things that should be completed before a 1.2 release are the ones that
are already mostly done, ie, why wait another 3 months just because xyz
isn't done yet? plus of course bug fixes.

I hope we would see a 1.2 release within the next 2 - 3 months (random
time) because it has been a long time since the last release. At this
stage, we should be releasing frequantly... once the dev cycle slows,
and we are mostly just bug fixing with the occassional new feature, then
a release once per year or even 18mths would be more expected....

Just my 2c of course :)

Regards,
Adam

Adam Goryachev