[Asterisk-Dev] PRI/Zap

Tais M. Hansen tmh at comx.dk
Wed May 4 07:13:38 MST 2005

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 14:11, Peter Svensson wrote:
> > Also, my provider told me that we were always using "explicit" when
> > choosing channels, instead of "preferred", which they recommend. I
> > haven't looked into that yet, so I can only guess what it means. I have a
> > feeling it's closely related.
> The problem is that Asterisk treats a PRI link like a lot of independant
> channels which happen to share a signalling channel. Asterisk will first
> select a B-channel for a call and then use that channel in the setup
> message.
>
> The net end is free to reject a specific B channel. Most telecom cpe
> equipment leave the B-channel selection to the net end, or is at least
> capable of retrying using a different channel. Unfortunatly this is not
> possible to implement with the current zap channel implementation in
> Asterisk.

That's very bad news.

Do you (or someone else on this list) know where Asterisk chooses the what
B-channel to use? I'm thinking about hacking this to use random channels or
at least do round-robin instead of what seems like fifo. Then I could make
some dialanswer/cause check in the dialplan to retry the call. I believe that
would work.

--
Regards,
Tais M. Hansen