[Asterisk-Dev] Queue behavior clarification

Derrick Shields dshields at parrotsystems.com
Mon May 2 20:26:03 MST 2005

I know this is question is more appropriate in the user forum, but I saw a recent thread in the dev list about this and wanted to get clarification.

Regarding queue behavior: if a caller enters a queue and agents are logged in but are all busy, does the caller get 'queued' and wait until an agent becomes available, or does the Queue function return and its up to the dial plan to loop back to the Queue function?  I would think intuitively that a Queue function would queue the caller, otherwise the function should be called "ConnectToAgent" or something like that.  Not to mention that if it returns, you lose all context of the caller's position in the queue, no wait announcements, etc.

I know leavewhenempty (and joinwhenempty?) affect these, but I've interpreted these to mean no agents logged in.  If agents are logged in but just busy, I would expect that the caller waits their turn.  Several postings earlier seemed to imply that if all agents were busy then the Queue function returned.

Just want to make sure I understand - I've started looking at the source but get lost in the ring_one, wait_for_answer logic.

Thanks.