[Asterisk-Dev] Benchmark numbers....

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon May 2 15:04:47 MST 2005

Matthew Boehm wrote:

>>My dual 3.0 ghz xeon has problems when it hit's about 1000 users
>>registering every 60 seconds.. a dual processor doesn't help much by
>>the way.. asterisk mostly uses only one of using 99.9% cpu power and
>>still one processor doing nothing
>>

>    Say what? I thought asterisk was multi threaded. Perhaps my concept of
>threaded-ness is warped but shouldn't the threads be shared among
>processors? Isn't it the kernels job to say "this thread goes here and this
>thread goes here"?

Yes, but if the several threads are all trying to access a resource that
is protected by a mutex (i.e. like a list of users or something, or the
iax lock, etc), then only one thread will be able to execute at a time..

For this problem, it would be most instructive to build asterisk with
-pg, and then see where it's spending all it's time..

-SteveK