[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk "stable"?

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Mon May 2 07:39:19 MST 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 12:27:35PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> running 1.0.6/1.0.7, I keep seeing numerous bugs such as huge memory
> leaks, rtp overflows, application bugs etc etc. Wasn't the 1.0.x track
> meant to be stable? Or does "stable" only mean "feature freeze"? Will
> asterisk 1.2.x be just as badly tested as the 1.0.x track?

Stable does indeed mean "feature freeze", or only the importing of
features which have shown to be properly working. Kind of the MFC
(Merge From Current) from the *BSD world. Except that it seems more
fixing of bugs than importing of stable features (MacroExit, "n"
extension in DialPlan etc :-)

But just because it is prefered to be fixing of bugs doesn't mean
they aren't in there....

Personally, I wouldn't mind having an "unstable" release which had
the new features from HEAD in it which have shown their 2 cents in
the last couple of weeks. And no, I'm not willing to run HEAD on
my systems :-)

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org