[Asterisk-Dev] iax2 video frame timestamps

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Sun May 1 20:05:52 MST 2005

Hi,
 Sending the I frames as full frames does not make much sense.

Consider H.261/H.263, which sends all video frames in the same UDP
stream. The codec is required to "cope" with missing I frames.

If the I frame was sent reliably (as the proposal below) is dropped in
transmission, and then resent, imagine how it would look. The entire image
would then "jerk back" to what it was at the time of the I frame. This
effect will be less noticiable on a fast link. It will be noticeable on a
link where ping times are over 300 (or so) ms.

What video codecs often require is additional information sent in a
reliable fashion. H323 sends this additional info with TCP channels.
My view is that we can reliably send this additional info with a video
class of IEs.
 I am not keen to try and bodge in a reliable sending mechanism for
mini-video frames that contain additional control info.

Derek.