[Asterisk-Dev] IAX spec: Text formats and character sets

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sun May 1 09:37:21 MST 2005

For those of you that missed the start of this thread:

Please read:
http://edvina.net/asterisk/alphanumericextensions.pdf

It's a proposal by me and Leif Madsen on how to be able to support
International character sets in Asterisk in a good way. The reason I
published this document now was the IAX specification, that needs to
include a better specification on how to handle character sets. The
proposal is though much wider and focuses on Asterisk. How we implement
it in Asterisk and in IAX2 walk hand in hand. Asterisk is a
multi-protocol PBX that now handles at least one UTF-8 based protocol,
some ISO8859-1/ASCII information and we need to decide how to handle
this in the best possible way moving forward.

THanks for all input so far, I'm looking forward to more input. I've
added a comment that we need to also look into the $[] string handling
and possibly create a new set of operators that operate on UTF8 strings,
converting all strings to UTF8 before doing a comparision, while the old
operators operate on - whatever current strings are. Possibly ISO8859-x,
depending on the setting of the operating system.

/O