[Asterisk-Dev] codecrenegotiation andfax [was:codec negotiationissue]

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Wed Mar 30 20:45:14 MST 2005

Andrew Lindh wrote:

> This is a very useful idea for saving CPU cycles and codec (G.729) costs
> used in transcoding when both ends support the same codecs but that's
> not what they started with...

It has other possibilities too; for example, I'd prefer to play
pre-recorded prompts (and MOH) to PSTN callers in G.711 u-law, but
switch to G.729 when they connect to a G.729-using phone. If I have a
media gateway that supports this, I can just ask it to switch during the
call, saving Asterisk from having to transcode.