[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Monitor Server

Brian T. Roy b.t.roy at brianandkelly.ws
Tue Mar 29 09:24:29 MST 2005

I have written and have in production a monitoring application for
Asterisk Peers & Registrations.

It relies on System messages from the manager interface.

The application logs peer and registration messages to a MySQL DB for
historical reporting; sends email alerts based on configurable states;
sends alerts and re-connects on Asterisk shutdowns; etc...

There is one significant problem... as per usual when dealing with the
manager interface... I have had to modify the channels to CONSISTENTLY
message peer and registration messages (e.g., chan_sip does not always
send USER - total bummer if you have multiple registrations with the
same domain. Registrations that succeed don't send a message to the
manager interface... which results in reg goes away, alert, never get a
message that it is back).

I don't want to release the monitor code - as it requires modified sip,
zap and iax2 channels to function properly (and probably others... but
these are the only 3 I am using).

My question is this:

What is the status of the "new" manager interface? Are there plans to
have standardized messages (e.g., a channel message always sends these 3
required elements)?

If a reasonably consistent manager interface is available I would be
happy to work on a Java manager proxy with XML messaging for clients.

Brian Roy