[Asterisk-Dev] Openloop disconnect?

David Hill asterisk at binarystorm.net
Fri Mar 25 20:29:56 MST 2005

I'm talking about CO decreasing voltage on the phone line thus
signalling a hangup...

(something like that)

---->48v---->0v (for about 250-500ms)----->48v

That normally signify that the remote party has hanged up the line on
their side.

http://www.sandman.com/cpcbull.html

<QUOTE>

*CPC (Calling Party Control)* is a signal sent from most modern
electronic COs to indicate that the "Calling Party" has hung up. It's
usually called *"Open Loop Disconnect"* when you're programming
telephone equipment.

CPC is normally sent as an open ranging from 250 to 500 milliseconds.
Phone equipment at the far end of the call sees this open on the line,
and hangs up. Most voice mail and phone systems have a timer setting for
CPC. If you set it at 500ms, it usually works fine. If you
/accidentally/ set it for 50ms you'll probably get cut-offs, especially
during a lightning storm during very brief blips in the loop current.
Setting this timer for 50ms means that if the phone equipment sees an
open for 1/20th of a second (not very long), it will hang up. Setting it
for 500ms means it will hang up if it sees an open of *half a second.*
That's /much/ more reliable.
</QUOTE>