[Asterisk-Dev] init.d/asterisk

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon Mar 21 13:42:58 MST 2005

Brian Cuthie wrote:

>Seems kind of unfair to bash Mark for asking here when you guys aren't
>even sure of what the answer is. This clearly isn't a -users question.

Personally, I would prefer to just ignore things like this, because it
is not sustainable for people to to just pick random lines of scripts,
and ask "hey should I change this line", without even doing a little
research into what the line is for.

I think the big rule should be that if you haven't typed your request
into google first, and looked there, you deserve to get ignored (and
expect to be flamed) when you ask a question.

For example, if you had typed LD_ASSUME_KERNEL into google, you'd end up
right at Ulrich Drepper's site, which would tell you all about how
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL works, and how it basically switches thread
implementations, and what NPTL is, and why some programs may not work
well with it.

THEN, after doing some research, at the very least, when the question
was posed, we'd all be able to have an intellegent discussion about
this, and whether or not, or what would need to be done to ensure that
asterisk was fully compatible with NPTL, and what impact that would have
on performance.

As I recall, back from the pre-1.0 days, older asterisk versions would
crash with NPTL, as it's much less tolerant of sloppy / erroneous
programming than LinuxThreads; for example, with LinuxThreads, you could
do pthread_mutex_t t = -1; [...] pthread_destroy(&t); and get away with
it. With NPTL, you'd crash..

-SteveK