[Asterisk-Dev] init.d/asterisk

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Mon Mar 21 12:32:53 MST 2005

MF Hulber wrote:
> Thanks for the wise-xxx answer.  I knew enough to look into that file
> and see what was there.  I also know that there are a lot of remnants of
> 2.4 specific code laying around and it might not be necessary to have
> this statement in a 2.6 kernel.  Since this lives in a buildable
> configuration file it is a development question, not a user question.

No, it's not a dev question. extensions.conf is also a "buildable
configuration file", but we don't deal with those issues here either.

> Since you probably know, what is one condition in which this variable
> should be changed?

I cannot say, because I don't use that init script at all, and have
never run Asterisk using anything other than the default threading model
on whatever system it was running on (both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel based
systems).

However, I can envision scenarios where Asterisk itself was built
against the NPTL libraries, but it is using modules built against
LinuxThread libraries (maybe OpenSSL, or database drivers, etc). While
these are very close to compatible, they are not completely compatible,
and code written/compiled for LinuxThreads must be run in a LinuxThreads
environment or it will not work properly (the reverse is not true,
though, NPTL-based code will work in either environment, pretty much).