[Asterisk-Dev] Internals of Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Mar 16 20:46:13 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 14:24 +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> > Isn't that a bit contradictory? You say you've figured out how to
> > "implement video over Asterisk" but you don't understand the internal
> > architecture of Asterisk.
> >
> > In any case, Asterisk already supports video using SIP videophones,
> > and video over IAX between Asterisk servers.
>
> Maybe they can extend it to do video voicemail, or video assisted
> auto-attendant?  This could lead to applications such as video-enabled
> adult lines (`Hi, I'm Sally. Press 1 to see me...').  It would also be
> useful to display account information, CDR history, etc, in a video stream.

I know it has been a while since gnophone has been seen/discussed much
but it was perfect for this. It was IAX and therefore NAT friendly. It
included a mozilla browser which allowed you to have web pages with
links that where equivalent to dial strings. It also supported video.

Maybe we just need to rekindle the interest in developing that
interface.